References: Managing iron deficiency anemia
1. Naigamwalla DZ, Webb JA, Giger U. Iron deficiency anemia. Can Vet J 2012;53:250-256.
2. McCown JL, Specht AJ. Iron homeostasis and disorders in dogs and cats: a review. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2011;47:151-160.
3. Simpson KW, Meyer DJ, Boswood A, et al. Iron status and erythrocyte volume in dogs with congenital portosystemic vascular anomalies. J Vet Intern Med 1997;11:14-19.
4. Laflamme DP, Mahaffey EA, Allen SW, et al. Microcytosis and iron status in dogs with surgically induced portosystemic shunts. J Vet Intern Med 1994;8:212-216.
5. Bunch SE, Jordan HL, Sellon RK, et al. Characterization of iron status in young dogs with portosystemic shunt. Am J Vet Res 1995;56:853-858.
6. Adam FH, German AJ, McConnell JF, et al. Clinical and clinicopathologic abnormalities in young dogs with acquired and congenital portosystemic shunts: 93 cases (2003-2008). J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2012;241:760-765.
7. Ganz T. Hepcidin, a key regulator of iron metabolism and mediator of anemia of inflammation. Blood 2003;102:783-788.
8. Steinberg JD, Olver CS. Hematologic and biochemical abnormalities indicating iron deficiency are associated with decreased reticulocyte hemoglobin content (CHr) and reticulocyte volume (rMCV) in dogs. Vet Clin Pathol 2005;34:23-27.
9. Ristic JME, Stidworthy MF. Two cases of severe iron-deficiency anaemia due to inflammatory bowel disease in the dog. J Small Anim Pract 2002;43:80-83.
10. Gilson SD, Parker BB, Twedt DC. Evaluation of two commercial test kits for detection of occult blood in feces of dogs. Am J Vet Res 1990;51:1385-1387.
11. Prause LC, Grauer GF. Association of gastrointestinal hemorrhage with increased blood urea nitrogen and BUN/creatinine ratio in dogs: a literature review and retrospective study. Vet Clin Pathol 1998;27:107-111.
12. Rice JE, Ihle SL. Effects of diet on fecal occult blood testing in healthy dogs. Can J Vet Res 1994;58:134-137.
13. Cook AK, Gilson SD, Fischer WD, et al. Effects of diet on results obtained by use of two commercial test kits for detection of occult blood in feces of dogs. Am J Vet Res 1992;53:1749-1751.
14. Tuffli SP, Gaschen F, Neiger R. Effect of dietary factors on the detection of fecal occult blood in cats. J Vet Diagn Invest 2001;13:177-179.
15. Graham AH, Leib MS. Effects of prednisone alone or prednisone with ultralow-dose aspirin on the gastroduodenal mucosa of healthy dogs. J Vet Intern Med 2009;23:482-487.
16. Plumb DC. In: Veterinary drug handbook. 7th ed. Ames: Iowa State Press, 2011;565-568.
17. Plumb DC. In: Veterinary drug handbook. 7th ed. Ames: Iowa State Press, 2011;731-733.