National Report — About 100 dogs perished due to aflatoxin poisoning, a naturally occurring toxic chemical byproduct from the growth of the fungus Aspergillus flavus on corn and other crops, according to Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine.
Between 2002 and 2004, ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) staff members consulted on 158 cases of moth repellent ingestion. In most instances, the exposure was oral, but dermal and inhalation exposures were also reported. Naphthalene was the active ingredient in 83% of the cases, and paradichlorobenzene was the active ingredient in 17%.
Last summer, an epizootic of paraquat poisoning caused the deaths of at least seven dogs in Portland, Ore. This epizootic is evidence that this type of poisoning remains a current problem in companion-animal practice in North America.
Cleveland -The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals' (ASPCA) Animal Poison Control Center rebuts rumors that Swiffer WetJet is toxic to pets that come in contact with recently cleaned floors.