Toxicology case: How to help dog owners manage zinc oxide toxicosis
CONCLUSION AND CLINICAL RELEVANCE
Zinc oxide exposures are typically not life-threatening. Most owners are able to manage the signs at home, but veterinary care might be needed if clinical signs become persistent. The tube itself is generally not toxic; it is usually made of plastic or aluminum. However, the tube has the potential to cause an obstruction in the GI tract.
Treatment of acute zinc oxide toxicosis is usually limited to treating gastroenteritis and does not require treatment with chelating agents.Samantha Wright and Brandy R. Sobczak, DVM, ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, 1717 S. Philo Road, Suite 36, Urbana, IL 61802.
1. Zinc oxide—topical. In: POISINDEX System (electronic version). Truven Health Analytics, Greenwood Village, Colo. Available at: http://www.thomsonhc.com/. Accessed Dec. 12, 2012.
2. Ozpinar H, Abas I, Bilal T, et al. Investigation of excretion and absorption of different zinc salts in puppies. Lab Anim 2001;35:282-287.
3. Dziwenka MM, Coppock R. Metals and minerals—zinc. In: Plumlee KH, ed. Clinical veterinary toxicology. St. Louis, Mo: Mosby, 2004;221-226.
4. Welch SL. Oral toxicity of topical preparations. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2002;32(2):443-453.
5. Zinc oxide. The Merck veterinary manual (electronic version). Available at: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/214015.htm. Accessed Aug. 12, 2013.
6. Plumb DC. Plumb's veterinary drug handbook. 7th ed. Stockholm, Wis: PharmaVet, 2011;624-626.