Toxicology case: Jatropha multifida toxicosis in a dog
May 31, 2014
A 4-year old 50-lb (22.7-kg) neutered male standard poodle was presented to an emergency clinic for evaluation of severe vomiting, anorexia, and lethargy that had progressively worsened over the preceding two days. The owner observed that the initial vomitus contained between 10 to 20 intact as well as chewed sections of an unknown type of large seed.
Initial conservative treatment at the pet's regular veterinarian included famotidine (20 mg orally every 24 hours), metronidazole (250 mg orally every 24 hours), sucralfate (1 g orally every 12 hours), and a bland diet. After eight hours, these treatments had failed to control the clinical signs, so the pet was referred to an emergency clinic for further diagnostic testing and treatment.
EMERGENCY ASSESSMENTUpon arrival to the emergency clinic, the dog was lethargic and moderately dehydrated (estimated 7% to 8%). Jaundice was also noted by the emergency clinician. The jaundice as well as the previously noted emesis of an unknown seed led to a suspicion of sago palm (Cycas revoluta) toxicosis. While the dog was being treated, the owner was sent home to see if the dog could have had access to a sago palm and, if so, if the seeds matched the ones it had vomited earlier.