Raisins and grapes: Potentially lethal treats for dogs - Veterinary Medicine
  • SEARCH:
Medicine Center
DVM Veterinary Medicine Featuring Information from:

ADVERTISEMENT

Raisins and grapes: Potentially lethal treats for dogs
Can raisins and grapes really poison dogs? The answer is an emphatic yes, and your dog-owning clients need to know it. And you need to know how to recognize and manage this toxicosis in case an affected dog is presented to your practice.


VETERINARY MEDICINE


REFERENCES

1. Gwaltney-Brant S, Holding JK, Donaldson CW, et al. Renal failure associated with ingestion of grapes or raisins in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2001;218:1555-1556.

2. Means C. The wrath of grapes. Available at: http://www.vin.com/Members/SearchDB/misc/m05000/m02410.htm. Accessed April 2005.

3. Animal Poison Control Center. ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center issues a nationwide update: raisins and grapes can be toxic. July 6, 2004. New York, NY: American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

4. Mazzaferro EM, Eubig PA, Hackett TB, et al. Acute renal failure associated with raisin or grape ingestion in 4 dogs. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2004;14:203-212.

5. Stokes J, Forrester SD. New and unusual cases of acute renal failure in dogs and cats. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2004;34:909-922.

6. Penny D, Henderson SM, Brown PJ. Raisin poisoning in a dog. Vet Rec 2003;152:308.

7. Singleton V. More information on grape or raisin toxicosis. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2001;219:434-436.

8. Rosendale ME. Decontamination strategies. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2002;32:311-321.


ADVERTISEMENT

Source: VETERINARY MEDICINE,
Click here