After evaluating these different techniques, we considered inhalant anesthesia with sevoflurane to be the most reliable method
for immobilizing the cats for blood donation. We also found that administering the inhalant anesthetic through a mask did
not interfere with blood collection. Although not specifically studied in this paper, isoflurane would be an acceptable alternative
to sevoflurane and has been used by two of the authors in private practice (Drs. Troyer and Feeman) with good success. A longer
induction and recovery period would be expected with isoflurane, as would a lower induction and maintenance dose.
H.L. Troyer, DVM*
William E. Feeman III, DVM**
Toni L. Gray, RVT***
C. Guillermo Couto, DVM, DACVIM
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences
College of Veterinary Medicine
The Ohio State University
Columbus, OH 43210
*Oradell Animal Hospital
580 Winters Ave.
Paramus, NJ 07652
**Animal Medical Centre of Medina
1060 S. Court St.
Medina, OH 44256
***5230 Renner Road
Columbus, OH 43228
Supported in part by grant P30 CA16058, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Md.
1. Muir WW, Hubbell JAE, Skarda RT, et al. Handbook of veterinary anesthesia. 3rd ed. St. Louis, Mo: Mosby Inc., 2000.
2. Plumb DC. Veterinary drug handbook. 4th ed. Ames: Iowa State Press, 2002.
3. Aronson CE. Veterinary pharmaceuticals and biologicals 1982-1983. Edwardsville, Kan: Veterinary Medicine Publishing Co., 1983.
USP DI—Drug information for the health care professional. Vol. 1, 17th ed. Rockville, Md: The United States Pharmacopeial Convention Inc., 1997.
5. Gaertner DJ, Boschert KR, Schoeb TR. Muscle necrosis in Syrian hamsters resulting from intramuscular injections of ketamine
and xylazine. Lab Anim Sci 1987;37:80-83.
6. Smiler KL, Stein S, Hrapkiewicz KL, et al. Tissue response to intramuscular and intraperitoneal injections of ketamine and
xylazine in rats. Lab Anim Sci 1990;40:60-64.
7. Budavari S. The Merck index—Encyclopedia of chemicals, drugs and biologicals. Rahway, NJ: Merck and Co. Inc., 1989.
8. McEvoy GK. American Hospital Formulary Service —Drug information 92. Bethesda, Md: American Society of Hospital Pharmacists Inc., 1992.
AMA drug evaluations annual. Chicago, Ill: American Medical Association, 1991.
10. Rall TW, Taylor P, Nies AS, et al. Goodman & Gilman's the pharmacological basis of therapeutics. 8th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 1990.