One form of wasting syndrome in pups due to thymic atrophy was responsive, in limited clinical trials, to subcutaneous injections
of 0.1 mg/kg of pituitary-derived bovine growth hormone daily for five doses, then on alternate days for five doses, then
every three days for four additional doses.23
Treating fading puppy and kitten syndrome focuses on correcting hypothermia, hypoglycemia, dehydration, and inadequate nutrition,
as well as treating any treatable disease that may be present. Frequent serial monitoring and subsequent adjustment of therapy
will provide successful outcomes in a high percentage of cases.
Joni L. Freshman, DVM, MS, DACVIM
3060 Woodview Court
Colorado Springs, CO 80918
1. Johnston SD, Root Kustritz MV, Olson PNS. The neonate—from birth to weaning. In: Canine and feline theriogenology. Philadelphia, Pa: WB Saunders Co, 2001;146-167.
2. Bucheler J. Fading kitten syndrome and neonatal isoerythrolysis. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 1999;29:853-870.
3. Hoskins JD. Clinical evaluation of the kitten from birth to eight weeks of age. Compend Contin Educ Pract Vet 1990;12:1215-1225.
4. Macintire DK. Pediatric intensive care. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 1999;29:971-988.
5. Davidson AP, Grundy SA, Foley JE. Successful medical management of neonatal canine herpesvirus: a case report. Commun Therio 2003;3:1-5.
6. Lee JL. Critical care of the neonate, in Proceedings. Soc Therio Annu Meet 2004;326-333.
7. Root Kustritz MV. Common disorders of the small animal neonate, in Proceedings. Soc Therio Annu Meet 2004;316-325.
8. Moon PF, Massat BJ, Pascoe PJ. Neonatal critical care. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2001;31:343-365.
9. Lawler DF, Chandler ML. Indications and techniques for tube feeding puppies. Canine Pract 1992;17:20-23.
10. Monson WJ. Orphan rearing of puppies and kittens. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 1987;17:567-576.
11. Levy JK, Crawford PC, Collante WR, et al. Use of adult cat serum to correct failure of passive transfer in kittens. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2001;219:1401-1405.
12. Bouchard G, Plata-Madrid H, Youngquist RS, et al. Absorption of an alternate source of immunoglobulin in pups. Am J Vet Res 1992;53:230-233.
13. Wolinski J, Biernat M, Guilloteau P, et al. Exogenous leptin controls the development of the small intestine in neonatal
piglets. J Endocrinol 2003;177:215-222.
14. Jenkins JS. Oxygen toxicity. J Crit Care Med 1988;3:137-152.
15. Marks SL. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation and oxygen therapy. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 1999;29:959-969.
16. Fitzpatrick RK, Crowe DT. Nasal oxygen administration in dogs and cats: experimental and clinical investigations. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1986;22:293-300.