1. Arkow P. Child abuse, animal abuse, and the veterinarian. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1994;204:1004-1007.
2. Rollin B. An ethicist's commentary on whether veterinarians should report cruelty. Can Vet J 1994;35:408-409.
3. Crook A. The CVMA animal abuse position—how we got here. Can Vet J 2000;41:631-635.
4. Worth D, Beck AM. Multiple ownership of animals in New York City. Trans Stud Coll Physicians Phila 1981;3:280-300.
5. Patronek GJ. Hoarding of animals: an under-recognized public health problem in a difficult-to-study population. Public Health Rep 1999;114:81-87.
6. Frost RO, Krause MS, Steketee G. Hoarding and obsessive-compulsive symptoms. Behav Modif 1996;20:116-132.
7. Damecour CL, Charron M. Hoarding: a symptom, not a syndrome. J Clin Psychiatry 1998;59:267-272.
8. Hoarding of Animals Research Consortium (HARC). Health implications of animal hoarding. Health Soc Work 2002;27:125-136.
9. Frost R, Hoarding of Animals Research Consortium (HARC). People who hoard animals. Psychiatric Times 2000;17:25-29. Available online at
10. Marquis J. The Kittles case and its aftermath. Animal Law 1996;2:197-201.
11. Berry C, Patronek GJ, Lockwood R. Animal hoarding: a study of 56 case outcomes. Animal Law 2005;11:167-194.
12. Greenberg D, Witztum E, Levy A. Hoarding as a psychiatric symptom. J Clin Psychiatry 1990;51:417-421.
13. Patronek GJ, Loar L, Nathanson JN, eds. Animal hoarding: structuring interdisciplinary responses to help people, animals,
and communities at risk. A report of an expert workshop, April 3, 2004, Boston, Mass. Hoarding of Animals Research Consortium,
2006. Available at:
14. American Veterinary Medical Association. Companion animal care guidelines, 2003. Available at:
15. Patronek GJ. Issues and guidelines for veterinarians in recognizing, reporting, and assessing animal neglect and abuse. In:
Recognizing and reporting animal abuse—a veterinarian's guide. Denver, Colo: American Humane Association, 1998
16. Miller L, Zawistowski S. Shelter medicine for veterinarians and staff. Ames, Iowa: Blackwell, 2004.
17. McMillan FD. Mental health and well-being in animals. Ames, Iowa: Blackwell Publishers, 2005.