Litter box systems made especially for dogs are also now available. A dog that is accustomed to eliminating on grass could
also be retrained to use litter by initially placing a section of sod on top of the litter in the box and then slowly, over
a period of weeks, cutting sections away until the dog is walking on the litter. The canine litter box must be large enough
for the dog to step into easily and turn around in.
Valarie V. Tynes, DVM, DACVB
P.O. Box 1040
Fort Worth, TX 76101
1. Landsberg GM. The distribution of canine behavior cases at three behavior referral practices. Vet Med 1991;86:1011-1018.
2. Voith VL, Borchelt PL. Elimination behavior in dogs. In: Voith VL, Borchelt PL, eds. Readings in companion animal behavior. Trenton, NJ: Veterinary Learning Systems, 1996;169-178.
3. Scott JP, Fuller JL. Development of behavior. In: Genetics and the social behavior of the dog. Chicago, Ill: University of Chicago Press, 1965;84-116.
4. Horwitz DF. A practitioner's guide to housebreaking puppies. Vet Med 1999;94:165-169.
5. Landsberg G, Hunthausen W, Ackerman L. Fears and phobias. In: Handbook of behavior problems of the dog and cat. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: WB Saunders Co, 2003;258-296.