1. Cheitlin MD. Obesity is bad: but what should the definition be, and when is it bad? Cardiol Rev 2001;9:208-209.
2. Polk SL. Definitions and demographics of obesity: diagnosis and risk factors. Anesthesiol Clin North Am 2005;23:397-403, v.
3. Donath SM. Who's overweight? Comparison of the medical definition and community views. Med J Aust 2000;172:375-377.
4. Etemadi A, Malekzadeh R. Definition and etiology of metabolic syndrome. Arch Iran Med 2008;11:1-2.
5. Garcia-Marcos L, Valverde-Molina J, Ortega ML, et al. Percent body fat, skinfold thickness or body mass index for defining
obesity or overweight, as a risk factor for asthma in schoolchildren: which one to use in epidemiological studies? Matern Child Nutr 2008;4:304-310.
6. James WP. The epidemiology of obesity. Ciba Found Symp 1996;201:1-11; discussion 11-16, 32-36.
7. Bach JF, Rozanski EA, Bedenice D, et al. Association of expiratory airway dysfunction with marked obesity in healthy adult
dogs. Am J Vet Res 2007;68:670-675.
8. Cowey S, Hardy RW. The metabolic syndrome: A high-risk state for cancer? Am J Pathol 2006;169:1505-1522.
9. Martin LJ, Siliart B, Dumon HJ, et al. Hormonal disturbances associated with obesity in dogs. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl) 2006;90:355-360.
10. Zou C, Shao J. Role of adipocytokines in obesity-associated insulin resistance. J Nutr Biochem 2008;19:277-286.
11. Mason E. Obesity in pet dogs. Vet Rec 1970;86:612-616.
12. Gossellin J, Wren JA, Sunderland SJ. Canine obesity: an overview. J Vet Pharmacol Ther 2007;30(Suppl 1):1-10.
13. Colliard L, Ancel J, Benet JJ, et al. Risk factors for obesity in dogs in France. J Nutr 2006;136:1951S-1954S.
14. McGreevy PD, Thomson PC, Pride C, et al. Prevalence of obesity in dogs examined by Australian veterinary practices and the
risk factors involved. Vet Rec 2005;156:695-702.
15. Edney AT, Smith PM. Study of obesity in dogs visiting veterinary practices in the United Kingdom. Vet Rec 1986;118:391-396.
16. Crane SW. Obesity treatment and prevention in companion animals. Tijdschr Diergeneeskd 1992;117(Suppl 1):44S-45S.
17. Kronfeld DS, Donoghue S, Glickman LT. Body condition and energy intakes of dogs in a referral teaching hospital. J Nutr 1991;121(11 Suppl):S157-S158.
18. German AJ. The growing problem of obesity in dogs and cats. J Nutr 2006;136 (7 Suppl):1940S-1946S.
19. Roberts SB, Greenberg AS. The new obesity genes. Nutr Rev 1996;54:41-49.
20. Eisele I, Wood IS, German AJ, et al. Adipokine gene expression in dog adipose tissues and dog white adipocytes differentiated
in primary culture. Horm Metab Res 37:474-481.