1. Laflamme DP, Kuhlman G, Lawler DF. Evaluation of weight loss protocols for dogs. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1997;33:253-259.
2. Gossellin J, Wren JA, Sunderland SJ. Canine obesity: an overview. J Vet Pharmacol Ther 2007;30(Suppl 1):1-10.
3. German AJ, Holden SL, Bissot T, et al. Dietary energy restriction and successful weight loss in obese client-owned dogs.
J Vet Intern Med 2007;21:1174-1180.
4. Burkholder WJ, Bauer JE. Foods and techniques for managing obesity in companion animals. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1998;212:658-662.
5. Blanchard G, Nguyen P, Gayet C, et al. Rapid weight loss with a high-protein low-energy diet allows the recovery of ideal
body composition and insulin sensitivity in obese dogs. J Nutr 2004;134(8 Suppl):2148S-2150S.
6. German AJ, Holden SL, Bissot T, et al. A high protein high fibre diet improves weight loss in obese dogs. Vet J 2010;183:294-297.
7. Bland IM, Guthrie-Jones A, Taylor RD, et al. Dog obesity: veterinary practices' and owners' opinions on cause and management.
Prev Vet Med 2010;94:310-315.
8. Yaissle JE, Holloway C, Buffington CA. Evaluation of owner education as a component of obesity treatment programs for dogs.
J Am Vet Med Assoc 2004;224:1932-1935.
9. Markwell PJ, Butterwick RF, Wills JM, et al. Clinical studies in the management of obesity in dogs and cats. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1994;18(Suppl 1):S39-S43.
10. Brownell K D. Weight cycling. Am J Clin Nutr 1989;49(5 Suppl):937S.
11. Goldbeter A. A model for the dynamics of human weight cycling. J Biosci 2006;31:129–136.
12. Jandacek RJ, Anderson N, Liu M, et al. Effects of yo-yo diet, caloric restriction, and olestra on tissue distribution of
hexachlorobenzene. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 1995;288:292–299.
13. Contreras RJ, Williams VL. Dietary obesity and weight cycling: effects on blood pressure and heart rate in rats. Am J Physiol 1989;256:R1209–R1219.
14. Nagaoka D, Mitsuhashi Y, Angell R, et al. Re-induction of obese body weight occurs more rapidly and at lower caloric intake
in beagles. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl) 2010;94:287-292.
15. Timperio A, Salmon J, Chu B, et al. Is dog ownership or dog walking associated with weight status in children and their parents?
Health Promot J Austr 2008;19:60-63.
16. Kushner RF, Blatner DJ, Jewell DE, et al. The PPET study: people and pets exercising together. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2006;14:1762-1770.
17. Byers CG, Wilson CC, Stephens M, et al. Owners and pets exercising together (OPET): preliminary canine response to prescribed
exercise, in Proceedings. 18th Annu Conf Int Soc Anthrozoo 2009.
18. Wren JA, Ramudo AA, Campbell SL, et al. Efficacy and safety of dirlotapide in the management of obese dogs evaluated in two
placebo-controlled, masked clinical studies in North America. J Vet Pharmacol Ther 2007;30(Suppl 1):81-89.
19. Wren JA, King VL, Krautmann MJ, et al. The safety of dirlotapide in dogs. J Vet Pharmacol Ther 2007;30(Suppl 1):43-54.
20. Wren JA, Gossellin J, Sunderland SJ. Dirlotapide: a review of its properties and role in the management of obesity in dogs.
J Vet Pharmacol Ther 2007;30(Suppl 1):11-16.
21. Merritt DA, Bessire AJ, Vaz AD, et al. Absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion of dirlotapide in the dog. J Vet Pharmacol Ther 2007;30(Suppl 1):17-23.
22. Klonoff DC. Dirlotapide, a U.S. Food and Drug Administration-approved first-in-class obesity drug for dogs-will humans be
next? J Diabetes Sci Technol 2007;1:314-316.
23. Kirk CA, Boucher JF, Sunderland SJ, et al. Influence of dirlotapide, a microsomal triglyceride transfer protein inhibitor,
on the digestibility of a dry expanded diet in adult dogs. J Vet Pharmacol Ther 2007;30(Suppl 1):66-72.
24. German AJ, Morgan LE. How often do veterinarians assess the bodyweight and body condition of dogs? Vet Rec 2008;163:503-505.
25. Roudebush P, Schoenherr WD, Delaney SJ. An evidence-based review of the use of therapeutic foods, owner education, exercise,
and drugs for the management of obese and overweight pets. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2008;233:717-725.