Euthanasia is a personal decision and also a permanent one. Clinicians should never make snap judgments (e.g. all biting rottweilers should be euthanized) that result in the end of a pet's life. Dramatic changes in an animal's behavior
are often possible when owners are willing to commit to a behavior modification program. This option should always be presented
to owners, including the option of referral to a behavior specialist.
Lore I. Haug, DVM, MS, DACVB
Texas Veterinary Behavior Services
2627 Cordes Drive
Sugar Land, TX 77479
1. Patronek GJ, Glickman LT, Beck AM, et al. Risk factors for relinquishment of cats to an animal shelter. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1996;209(3):582-588.
2. Patronek GJ, Glickman LT, Beck AM, et al. Risk factors for relinquishment of dogs to an animal shelter. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1996;209(3):572-581.
3. Shore ER. Returning a recently adopted companion animal: adopters' reasons for and reactions to the failed adoption experience.
J Appl Anim Welf Sci 2005;8(3):187-198.
4. Duxbury MM, Jackson JA, Line SW, et al. Evaluation of association between retention in the home and attendance at puppy socialization
classes. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2003;223(1):61-66.
5. Reisner IR, Erb HN, Houpt KA. Risk factors for behavior-related euthanasia among dominant-aggressive dogs: 110 cases (1989-1992).
J Am Vet Med Assoc 1994;205(6):855-863.
6. Moore DA, Sischo WM, Hunter A, et al. Animal bite epidemiology and surveillance for rabies postexposure prophylaxis. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2000;217(2):190-194.
7. Overall KL, Love M. Dog bites to humans—demography, epidemiology, injury, and risk. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2001;218(12):1923-1934.
8. Francis D, Diorio J, Liu D, et al. Nongenomic transmission across generations of maternal behavior and stress responses in
the rat. Science 1999;286(5442):1155-1158.
9. Swanson KS. Nutrient-gene interactions and their role in complex diseases in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2006;228(10):1513-1520.
10. Seso-Simic D, Sedmak G, Hof P, et al. Recent advances in the neurobiology of attachment behavior. Transl Neurosci 2010;1(2):148-159.
11. Appleby D, Bradshaw JW, Casey RA. Relationship between aggressive and avoidance behaviour by dogs and their experience in
the first six months of life. Vet Rec 2002;150:434-438.
12. Pierantoni L, Verga M. Behavioral consequences of premature maternal separation and lack of stimulation during the socialization
period in dogs. J Vet Behav 2007;2(3):84-85.
13. Seksel K, Mazurski EJ, Taylor A. Puppy socialization programs: short and long term behavioral effects. Appl Anim Behav Sci 1999;62(4):335-349.