Pyometra is a serious and potentially life-threatening disease of the canine uterus. Patients presenting with pyometra should
be stabilized, and the decision whether to pursue medical management or surgical management of the uterine disease should
discussed with the dog's owner. Medical management of pyometra is best performed in patients of appropriate breeding age that
are reproductively valuable and free of life-threatening illnesses, including septicemia, endotoxemia, and organ dysfunction.
Brain Lucas Hamm, DVM
Jeff Dennis, DVM, DACVIM
BluePoint Specialty & Emergency Medicine for Pets
11950 W. 110th St., Suite B
Overland Park, KS 66210
1. Wheaton LG, Johnson AL, Parker AJ, et al. Results and complications of surgical treatment of pyometra; a review of 80
cases. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1989;25:563-568.
2. Watts JR, Wright PJ, Whithear KG. Uterine, cervical and vaginal microflora of the normal bitch throughout the reproductive
cycle. J Small Anim Pract 1996;37:54-60.
3. Verstegen J, Dhaliwal G, Verstegen-Onclin K. Mucometra, cystic endometrial hyperplasia, and pyometra in the bitch: advances
in treatment and assessment of future reproductive success. Theriogenology 2008;70:364-374.
4. Feldman EC, Nelson RW. Cystic endometrial hyperplasia/pyometra complex. In: Canine and feline endocrinology and reproduction. 3rd ed. St. Louis, Mo: Saunders, 2004; 852-867.
5. Fransson BA. Canine pyometra: an updated on pathogenesis and treatment. Compend Contin Educ Vet 2003;25:602-612.
6. Nett TM, McClellan MC, Niswender GD. Effects of prostaglandins on the ovine corpus luteum: blood flow, secretion of progesterone
and morphology. Biol Reprod 1976;15:66-78.
7. Repasi A. Effect of prostaglandin treatment on the corpus luteum, plasma progesterone concentration and the largest follicle
in the dairy cow. PhD thesis. Szent Istvan University, Budapest, 2005.
8. Rudd R, Kopcha M. Therapeutic use of prostaglandin F2 alpha. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1982;181:932-934.
9. Gabor G, Siver L, Szenci O. Intravaginal prostaglandin F2 alpha for the treatment of metritis and pyometra in the bitch.
Acta Vet Hung 1999;47:103-108.
10. Lein DH. Termination of pregnancy in bitches by administration of prostaglandin F-2 alpha. J Reprod Fertil Suppl 1989; 39:231-240.
11. England GC, Freeman SL, Russo M. Treatment of spontaneous pyometra in 22 bitches with a combination of cabergoline and
cloprostenol. Vet Rec 2007;160:293-296.
12. Onclin K, Silva LD, Donnay I, et al. Luteotrophic action of prolactin in dogs and the effects of a dopamine agonist, cabergoline.
J Reprod Fertil Suppl 1993;47:403-409.
13. Corrada Y, Arias D, Rodriguez R, et al. Combination dopamine agonist and prostaglandin agonist treatment of cystic endometrial
hyperplasia-pyometra complex in the bitch. Theriogenology 2006;66:1557-1559.
14. Jurka P, Max A, Hawrynska K, et al. Age-related pregnancy results and further examination of bitches after aglepristone
treatment of pyometra. Reprod Domest Anim 2010;45:525-529.
15. Gurbulak K, Pancarci M, Ekici H, et al. Use of aglepristone and aglepristone+ intrauterine antibiotic for the treatment
of pyometra in bitches. Acta Vet Hung 2005;53:249-255.